Haki Madini Kenya (HMK) is a community centered coalition that brings together communities in and around mining areas, civil society organizations, faith based organizations and individuals engaging in the mining industry with the primary aim of promoting responsible stewardship of mining resources.
A country where mining resources are exploited in a sustainable way for the benefit of all.
To effectively promote community participation, multi-stakeholder engagement and responsible stewardship in the mining sector in Kenya.
HMK engagement will be premised on the following core values;
- Solidarity with mining communities
- Integrity, transparency and accountability
- Mutual respect
- Collective responsibility
The objectives of the coalition as highlighted within the strategic plan are;
- To influence policy, legal and institutional framework development and implementation to ensure that community interests are secured
- To create a critical mass of informed and organized local communities (women, men, youth) engaging meaningfully in and benefitting from the mining sector
- To demand corporate accountability and responsibility by the investing company in the mining sector
- To engender the mining sector in Kenya through women socio-economic empowerment and safeguarding of women’s rights
- To create a credible, strong and knowledge-driven network capable of responding to emerging issues in the mining sector